Friday, November 14, 2014

What programming language is better for beginners?

For many people who have studied Computer Science, programming is a very normal task. If we decide to classify programming languages, I will categorize them into Business and Academic programming languages. What do I mean by Academic and Business languages? Ok, let's shed the light on them. 


When I was younger and I graduated in Software Engineering. I knew some Pascal and C++. We did some basic jobs with them such as calculation. However, I was wondering how the professional softwares like Photoshop has been created?! For the first time that my friend showed me his windows app which was written in Delphi, I discovered what is going on. I discovered some languages are created for making professional applications. From that time I started to use Visual Studio 2003. It was very interesting for me to write a visual program that its appearance was similar to windows softwares. Business programming languages refers to those programming languages.

For a long time I did not know why there are many academic programming languages. Such as Fortran, Perl and so on. But gradually when I started my higher education I get to know. Because in academia, we are walking on the edge of science and scholar are working on new idea and theories. So, they need strong and simple languages for their implementation. Some of their calculations are so heavy, so why they should use the memory for spacious DLL files?! 

I know you scare when you go in the bookstore and computer sections. You see a lot of programming languages. From C to Python, PHP, JSP and so on. However, in my idea if somebody learns the C++ or Java for the first step of programming career, it would be very useful for his/her future. Because they are very near to machine language and execution of softwares that are written by them is much faster than other languages. By learning C++ or Java you can learn the concept of object oriented programming very well. Moreover, if you want to shift to another language, it would be much easier. For example, the syntax of Python and many other languages are very similar to C++ and Java. Good performance of C has caused that other practical and strong script tool is created by it. For instance, MATLAB and R which are very powerful tools in academic and business. After learning them, based on your goal you can go to other programming languages or script languages.

Maybe you say, I want to be a web programmer, why not jumping to HTML and XML coding. You are right, you can do it. However, at the end you have to do dynamic programming for web pages. For example, with ASP, PHP or JSP. If you go with PHP, your problem is less. Because PHP has a simple syntax, but if you know C or Java,for example, you can learn it super faster. In another case, you have to write ASP with C# or Basic language and JSP with Java. So, in this case you are in trouble. Do not panic from programming, it is fun to order to the computer and keep in mind that C and Java are two brothers that can be helpful for everybody in the computer world.

I hope it could help you to start programming

No comments:

Post a Comment