Sunday, August 26, 2012

Use MySQL with taste of SQL Server

Hello everyone. In these days I am busy to learn PHP and MySQL to design my questionnaire. I have not worked with MySQL around three years and I could not believe in which extend MySQL developed in these years. When I opened PHPmyAdmin I noticed that MySQL developers added some vital features to it that in my opinion have made MySQL the best database option for small and average projects. For instance several years ago which I came to use MySQL I fed up when I discover MySQL does not support triggers, Transactions and even store procedures! That time SQL Server had all of these features and we preferred to use SQL Server. Now, MySQL have all of these options and it was a very good news for me.

Only drawback which I saw in MySQL was its User Interface. PHPMyAdmin is a nice application and does support many basic needs of developers. However, when you make a store procedure in MySQL, you cannot find it! Why? I do not know. It exists and it works but you cannot see it unless you extract it from systems' table with some codes! It is not very handful especially for people who have worked with SQL Server.

Good news is that some third parties have developed some Graphic User Interfaces (GUI) for MySQL to make it more fashionable and easier to use. Nevertheless we have to pay some bucks to use this advantages. But do not disappointed. Still good guys are on the earth. Yes, one of this GUI is completely free and open source and you can enjoy it with empty pocket! However, it is not bad idea if you liked it donate something to these philanthropist people who are behind the scene. This GUI calls HeidiSQL. You can download it on your computer and use it with MySQL. Do not forget this is only GUI so you should install MySQL first and it does not come with MySQL.

I really have fallen in love with HeidiSQL. It is nice, easy to use and very useful. It shows store procedures, functions, triggers distinctly. It makes up everything PHPMyAdmin does not give you. Now you do not miss SQL Sever anymore when you are using MySQL.I was thinking to this sentence that "All the best things in the world are FREE". I hope you can enjoy this nice GUI. For download please refer to its official website here.

2 comments:

  1. SQL.
    ---------------
    Hello all,I am new and I would like to ask that what are the benefits of sql training, what all topics should be covered and it is kinda bothering me ... and has anyone studies from this course wiziq.com/course/125-comprehensive-introduction-to-sql of SQL tutorial online?? or tell me any other guidance...
    would really appreciate help... and Also i would like to thank for all the information you are providing on sql.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi christi, Sorry that I am replying late. I was a little busy these months. I hope I am getting your question correctly. You want to know why someone should teach SQL? If it is , the reason would be that if you want establish a website or even develop a software for keeping your data you need database. You can work with files but plain file do not have any structure to help you in saving, retrieving, searching data. So, using database is necessary. Structure Query Language (SQL) is essential part of relational databases. With help of it you can make your database and work with data in it.

    And regarding to your second question. I preferred to start with a good and simple SQL book. There are a lot of these books in the Internet. You can find the best one at Amazon. Even you can find many of them free online. So, I suppose you can learn in very quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete