Saturday, October 13, 2012

Academic Discrimination in Malaysia

A few days ago my Iraqi housemate told me about Student Discount Card at Malaysia. It seems that they launched this card for student to live easier during their studying. He had heard this news from his Malaysian classmates. The card gives 60% discount for some services and food. 25% discount for domestic flights and many other useful discounts. I become happy because we thought finally after long time Malaysia has decided to give some facilities to students like other countries. They called it KADS1M.



The day after this news all student got an email in Malay language about this card. It was strange for me why they sent an important email like this in Malay?! In the email it was mentioned that for receiving card please go to your faculty. I was at lab and I went to counter. Yes, Students were collecting their cards. I become happy again and I said yes It was a true news and they did finally noticed to students' life. I stood up at queue. When it becomes my turn she told me are you Malaysian citizen?! I replied No I am not. She told me "We are sorry. This card is only for Malaysian Citizens!". OMG, Why? We are not student here?! She did not have any response. 

It was one another sample of distinction in Malaysia and especially in academic places. Every country has some programs for supporting students because students do not have any job and are weaker than other cast in society. So, when you launch this program why you separate international student from it?! International students in Malaysia are paying double or even more tuition fee. Most of RA and TA positions belong to Malaysians. International students have been promoting Malaysian ranking universities in the world with publishing ISI papers even in some cases with force. But now they assign facilities only to Malaysian citizen.Is it fair? 

These behavior shows still Malaysia is developing countries and do not want to exit from third world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment